Thursday, September 16, 2010

earl grey.

“You can’t get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.” - C.S. Lewis


This past weekend I headed to my hometown to watch my best friend get married. I was her personal attendant, and it was so fun to be a part of that weekend with her. My parents no longer live in my hometown, but my grandparents still do, so I stayed with them for the weekend. They have a wonderful house filled with beautiful old things, all of which have a story of their lives tied in. On top of the wedding, it was great to just spend time with them, and hear some wise words. As the weekend neared its end, my grandma brought my sister and I into the kitchen and told us we could each pick out a couple of her old tea cups. Be still my heart.


I have a growing collection of tea cups, and to have a part of my grandma in that collection is all that I could hope for. Every time I go to an antique store I search for one or two old tea cups that has something unique or special about it. Tea cups are so beautiful and dainty, and I know that I can find one wherever I go if I do a little searching. It’s fun knowing that whichever one I find could have come from anywhere in the world. Each tea cup I buy is different, and I think it's fun to have different styles and personalities represented in my collection. They represent a time, place, person - a story. If only tea cups could talk...I'm sure they've seen some lovely times.


Besides the ones my grandma just gave me, most of my tea cups have been antiqued, and many are from trips I’ve taken or special times spent with people I love. Last spring break I went on a road trip with some of my good friends, and one morning we stopped at a huge antique store in Tennessee. Instead of buying a tacky souvenir on that trip, that I’d inevitably regret and pay too much for, I treated myself to a lovely tea cup with the most delicate roses and scallops on the side. This summer I spent a wonderful week in northern Wisconsin with one of my best friends, and while antiquing, found two more lovely tea cups. They are beautiful reminders of those times spent in fun places with people I love.


When I was in middle school, my grandma, sister and I have a tea party in her beautiful garden. Recently, we’ve been talking about having a grown-up tea party, making delicious little treats and using real tea cups (the first round, I believe we used my doll-sized teddy bear pattern tea set...). The idea of putting on your best dress and favorite hat, packing up some finger cakes and tea cups and heading out to the garden just makes my heart sing. Those Austen-era girls who traipsed around the English countryside and got to do that daily were lucky.


I think there’s something to be said for setting aside a bit of time each day to relax over a cup of tea, especially when it’s with a friend. Whenever I go to my other grandma’s house, she serves me up some tea and we have some great discussions. My parents have a cup of tea together every night. I think that’s nice. Taking time out of your day to reflect, and maybe gain a bit of perspective and advice from whoever you’re with. mmm...


A good cup of tea from a lovely tea cup - there’s nothing like it. Add a good friend or an old book and it’s about as perfect as life can be.

4 comments:

  1. What a romantic blog! I, too, have a tea cup collection- it is small, but each cup means a lot to me. I love how you described all the different situations in which people drink tea- it showed the reader how you can often make your best memories from a warm drink and good conversation. What a delightful topic to write about! However, you OBVIOUSLY haven't seen Beauty and the Beast... tea cups can too talk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like tea. I have tried to like tea, but have failed time and again. What you have described in your blog gave me a warm fuzzy feeling, and I long to someday be able to curl up in a chair with a cup of tea and read an old leather-bound book. I mean, I guess I could substitute hot cocoa, but its just not the same...

    p.s. my aunt collects tea cups :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love collecting things that are sort of odd. As a kid, i had a rock collection, coin collection, and thousands and thousands of sports cards.
    But now in my advanced age, I have decided to focus my efforts on my favorite hockey player.
    I was able to obtain (mostly thanks to Ebay) all of his older cards that I did not have (1982-1990). I know it really takes the romanticism out of your blog, and for that I apologize, but I love the old cards more than the newer, flashy, super HD photography cards.
    Point is, I totally understand why you said Be Still My Heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am extraordinarily fond of Earl Grey. Not necessarily due to flavor, cause let's face it, there really isn't any good taste involved in it. It's mainly just the concept so I'd agree with you that there are some special remembrances involving odd trinkets like Earl grey tea.

    ReplyDelete