Friday, September 10, 2010

not all who wander are lost.

There is nothing like the smell of fresh air, especially in the fall. The very thought of it makes me want to run outside and just bask in it. And yet it seems that, what with televisions, air conditioning and the internet, people spend more and more time indoors. This social transition from outdoor to indoor living makes me a little sad. I am so thankful that, as a child, I was encouraged to spend time outside and let my creativity flow as I ran around. Though I never lived in a big city until college, I always lived in town, which meant we didn't have a huge yard. However, my best friend growing up lived out in the country, with plenty of space to roam. I went there as many weekends as possible, and the only thing that kept us inside the house when I was there was sub-zero temperatures. We wandered the cornfields, played in the pasture, searched the woods for treasures and one autumn made a lovely "house" out of leaves. We also spent many days riding her horses or playing in the goat pen and sheep barn, and there were plenty of kittens to hunt down (though you had to be careful of the sick ones, or they just might get sick all over you...but that's another story for another day).

Many of my fondest memories took place at Kate's house, as we could let our imaginations venture as far as we could ride our bikes, and there were endless places and people we could become, simply by being together. I can think of very few times that we cooped ourselves up inside. It makes me sad to think of all the kids who spend there whole childhoods stuffed up in a basement playing video games or watching mindless television shows for hours on end. Sure, I've had those days, but I can't imagine living your entire life that way.

When I read old books, especially the Jane Austin, 1800s time-period type, it seems that the heroine always does her best contemplating and imagining when she's out-of-doors, wandering the moors or romping about fields of flowers. And Anne Shirley couldn't get enough of being outside, and would only reluctantly go into Green Gables at Marilla's command. I think so many people today have lost their ability to lose themselves in the beauty of creation. Between all that there is to do today, from strict schedules and interesting electronics to addictive entertainment, we have lost our fascination with nature, one of God's most beautiful gifts, and the wanderings and imaginings that go along with it.

This summer I was able to spend some time in the north woods of Wisconsin, and it was absolutely lovely. Though I love living in the city, and don't see myself moving to a small town in the middle of nowhere anytime soon, it was so nice to escape for a while and let my mind roam again. Although I still find times and places to walk around outside in the city, there is something about the woodsy wilderness or wide-openness of a field that let's your mind and creativity come alive. It was so good to rediscover that this summer, and remind myself to find time to do that more often, as it always dusts the cobwebs off my imagination, and brings me back to those glorious childhood days.

5 comments:

  1. "I think so many people today have lost their ability to lose themselves in the beauty of creation."

    This is so true! We're good at losing ourselves by being busy, wasting hours upon hours on our laptops checking facebook and e-mail, but how much time do we actually spend outside just enjoying a nice day??? This is a good reminder, I think I'll go outside now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was little, the neighbor girls and I would often run around barefoot, make "soup" out of dandelions and water from the hose and sit under their willow tree pretending to be Pochahontas. Those were the days. It makes me sad to think I won't ever really have a chance to do this again. I have fallen prey to the indoor lifestyle...But I agree that this is a great reminder, and I will try from now on to stop and enjoy the nature around me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It could be because I'm re-reading the book for the zillionth time right now, but literally as I was reading about your magical childhood, I thought to myself, "This pretty much sounds like Kate and Amy were Anne and Diana." Then you made that reference to Anne! Awesome! I was also fortunate to grow up an outdoors kid, having a farm to wander around for hours at a time. It makes you wonder if all the unhappiness and problems kids face these days could be fixed with a little fresh air...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a friend that lived in the river bluffs of Illinois, kind of around the Quad Cities. We would spend hours hiking around there, looking for fossils and animal bones. When I think back on it, I would have never done these things, they were way too dangerous! Free hand climbing rock faces, wiggling ourselves into caves, and the one time I did fall off a rock face, I conveniently landed in a giant pile of leaves, concealing the stone ground of a quarry.
    Wouldn't trade those days for anything. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Living in the country and spending time outside in young age is important for developing and such. I do see your point, but kids in the cities really don't have much choice. That's why kid centers/ clubs/ daycare are built so their strengths formulated n communication can be built while building a sandbox!

    ReplyDelete